Go to MyEtherWallet.com
1. Enter a password and make sure you remember it. This password will protect your private key.
2. Click on "Create New Wallet" button.
3. Download your Keystore / UTC file (Encrypted Private Key) & save this file to a USB drive.
4. Read the warning. If you understand it, click the "I understand. Continue" button.
5. Print your paper wallet backup and/or carefully hand-write the private key on a piece of paper.
6. Copy & paste your address into a text document somewhere.
7. Search your address on https://etherscan.io/. Bookmark this page. This is how you will view your balance at any time
8. Send a small amount of Ether (0.0001 ETH) from your previous wallet or exchange to your new wallet.
9. Unlock your new wallet from the Keystore / UTC file on your USB drive
or via the private key that you printed out. Ensure it unlocks the
wallet you are sent to and matches the bookmark you have.
10. Do not simply leave your new wallet open. Pretend you are coming back a year later to access your riches. Can you do it?
11. Send a small amount of Ether (0.00001 ETH) from this new wallet to another address.
It is recommended that you store backups of both forms of your key (the Keystore / UTC file version and paper wallet version) in physically separate, offline environments.
This prevents loss of the private key & password due to: dead hard drive, lost USB drive, wet piece of paper, etc. Keep in mind that physical loss can affect an entire area (e.g. fire, flood).
MyEtherWallet is not a web wallet and cannot recover your private key or password, access your account, move funds, recover funds, nor cancel/reverse transactions.
We are a client-side interface that allows you to interact with the Ethereum Blockchain. Please secure & back up your key like the millions of dollars it could some day be worth.